"Programmers can't get IPv6 thus that is why they do not have IPv6 in their applications"....

Tim Chown tjc at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Nov 27 23:57:09 UTC 2012

On 27 Nov 2012, at 23:44, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> Given the number of network engineers compared to the number of tunnel broker subscribers just at Hurricane Electric, I don't think that argument holds water.
>
> We have actually made using a tunnel broker very easy and provide pretty complete configuration examples for many many platforms. The examples are customized to contain the configuration elements for your particular tunnel so in most cases they are basically copy-and-paste configurations.

Indeed. Our students find it pretty straightforward, and they're (relatively) novice developers.

> I would think that a developer of corporate network-based applications that is worth his salt would be one of the people pushing the IT/Neteng group to give him the tools to do his job. If he waits until they are implementing IPv6 on corporate desktops, he guarantees himself a really bad game of catch-up once that time arrives.

I would hope so too. That said if applications are written well, much of the problems can be abstracted. There's been guidance out there for several years, e.g. RFC4038 and many similar white papers etc etc.

Tim