"Programmers can't get IPv6 thus that is why they do not have IPv6 in their applications"....

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Nov 27 23:44:37 UTC 2012

On Nov 27, 2012, at 1:26 PM, david raistrick <drais at icantclick.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Nov 2012, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>
>> As for actually getting IPv6 at home or at work, there are so many ways
>> to get that, thus not having it is a completely ridiculous excuse.
>
> bull.  explain using a tunnel broker to anyone who isn't a network engineer.

Given the number of network engineers compared to the number of tunnel broker subscribers just at Hurricane Electric, I don't think that argument holds water.

We have actually made using a tunnel broker very easy and provide pretty complete configuration examples for many many platforms. The examples are customized to contain the configuration elements for your particular tunnel so in most cases they are basically copy-and-paste configurations.

> oh, and then make that work inside a typical F500 corp network with restrictions on inbound and outbound ports, no admin user access to desktop machines, etc.

At work you may be limited to Teredo or not at all. In such a case, it's time to have a conversation with your networking group and raise awareness.

> Until the orgs that support the developers find that v6 is a priority (through whatever means it happens - neteng/IT/etc pushing it up the chain or politics/marketing pushing it down the chain) and it's functional on the typical corp desktop, the typical corp application engineer is going to have no motivation (not to mention no time in his/her schedule to reengineer their platform) to support v6.

I would think that a developer of corporate network-based applications that is worth his salt would be one of the people pushing the IT/Neteng group to give him the tools to do his job. If he waits until they are implementing IPv6 on corporate desktops, he guarantees himself a really bad game of catch-up once that time arrives.

Owen