"Programmers can't get IPv6 thus that is why they do not have IPv6 in their applications"....

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Nov 27 23:48:20 UTC 2012

>> I agree that some of it comes down to knowledge; most programmers
>> learn from experience and lets face it unless you go looking your
>> unlikely to run into IPv6 even as of yet. I believe as the ISP
>> implements IPv6 and companies get more demand on the customer facing
>> side of things it will pick up quickly.
>
> Sure, using gethostbyname() is certainly easier to find code examples, but not impossible to find other examples.

http://owend.corp.he.net/ipv6

Pretty much everything you need to know about taking your applications from mono-stack to dual-stack.

Includes an example application implemented in IPv4 only and ported to dual stack in C, PERL, and Python.

>> In our datacenters all our software is built with IPv6 addressing
>> supported but we have yet to build the logic stack as we are waiting
>> for the demand. It makes no sense to build all the support just
>> because when there are other important things to do.
>
> There is something else.  Many people "cheated" and stuck a 2^32 number in an integer datatype for their SQL or other servers.  They don't work as well with 2^128 sized IPs.  They have to undertake the actual effort of storing their data in a proper datatype instead of cheating.  I've seen this over-and-over and likely is a significant impediment just as the gethostbyname vs getaddrinfo() system call translations may be.

It's actually pretty easy to change the datatype in an SQL database, so that shouldn't be that much of an impediment.

Owen