"Programmers can't get IPv6 thus that is why they do not have IPv6 in their applications"....

Dave Edelman dedelman at iname.com
Wed Nov 28 03:18:59 UTC 2012

I think that we are missing a significant part of this conversation.

Even if programmers never write a line of code that invokes IPv6, they need
to accommodate the effects of all the other programmers who aren't writing a
line of IPv6 code. CGN renders most application logs useless unless they
record source port as well as address. For many industries, logging of
transactions in a manner that allows you to track back to the originator of
the transaction is not optional. And yes that does translate to track back
to the ISP who (when presented with the appropriate piece of paper) can
convert the timestamp /IP address/ port combination to the customer who is
responsible for the account.

Even if programmers never write a line of code that invokes IPv6, they had
better be testing their Internet facing applications against users in pure
IPv4 environments; users in pure IPv6 environment using each of  the
transition mechanism, and users in dual-stack environments.

I've spent more than a small amount of time explaining to vendors that
AI_ADDRCONFIG is a really good hint flag to have set. One vendor responded
that the change would require retesting everything. I'm afraid that he
wasn't happy when I pointed out that they obviously hadn't tested the first
time and that as the customer, I was entitled to at least one full set of
(successful)  pre-delivery testing.

--Dave