French Regulator to ask all your information about your Peering

Fredy Kuenzler kuenzler at init7.net
Fri Mar 30 21:06:39 UTC 2012

Am 30.03.2012 20:21, schrieb Raphael MAUNIER:
> This is now the end. The French regulator ( Arcep ) is now asking all the
> people with an ASN in France ( with a L33 license ) to get all their
> information on their peering.
>
> The Arcep claim it's for the "net neutrality" and still don't understand
> it works because it's self regulated.

I suggest to stop whining. Why do we see regulators stepping in? Simply
because some networks (mainly, but not only incumbents) abused their market
power. It doesn't surprise me that it starts in France, as it's a common
knowledge that the French incumbent has only one default answer, which is 'no'.

> [...]
>
> You have to give them information twice a year
>
> We ( @Neo Telecoms ) and other folks in France will probably setup
> something with other carriers ( I already had some discussion with some
> of you ) to talk to them on a single voice.

Much appreciated. They certainly will come to some automated solution where
they can generate reports on BGP feeds we send to their route collector.
Everyone with proper route tagging should be ok and live happily.

If, after all, the French incumbent has trouble to find an appropriate
explanation for the regulator to justify their policy, so be it...