last mile, regulatory incentives, etc

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Mar 24 03:22:38 UTC 2012

On Mar 23, 2012, at 6:54 PM, Paul Graydon wrote:

> On 03/23/2012 02:18 PM, Michael Painter wrote:
>> Randy Bush wrote:
>>> what a silly question.  lining the telcos' pockets.  american so called
>>> 'broadband' is a joke and a scam.
>>>
>>> randy
>>
>> Really.  This is from the Governor's "Hawaii Broadband Initiative" speedtest website:
>>
>> "The indication of above average or below average is based on a comparison of the actual test result to the current NTIA definition of broadband which is 768 kbps download and 200 kbps upload. Any test result above the NTIA definition is considered above average, and any result below is considered below average."
>>
> To be fair to the initiative at least its goal is for universal access to 1Gbps by 2018, something they term 'ultra-high-speed' (not sure where that definition comes from): http://hawaii.gov/gov/broadband-policy-outline/
>
> Paul

Yep... That's I think the problem...

Back when the initiative documents were written, 1Gbps was ulra-high-speed and 768/200k was average broadband. There is no provision for the terms to shift over time, so, the document gets more and more out of date as time goes by.

I suspect that by 2018, 1Gbps will probably be above average, but, not by as much as the document probably thinks.

Owen