Verizon, FiOS, and CLEC/UNE orders (was AT&T diversity)

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Mar 21 18:58:52 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Eric Wieling" <EWieling at nyigc.com>

> Verizon, the copper wireline company, is removing service from
> locations EVERY TIME VZ fiber is installed in a building. This
> prevents other companies from providing service by leasing Verizon's
> copper infrastructure. If there was copper at a location then VZ would
> be required to resell it and nobody would be locked out.

TTBOMK, whether Verizon has copper to a building has *no bearing at all*
on whether a CLEC can place an order for wholesale service to that location;
VZN is *required* to provide that wholesale service, at the regulated NRC
and MRC rates, whether they currently happen to have the physical facilities
in place or not -- are you alleging either that I've misunderstood that,
or that VZN is refusing such orders *simply* because they've removed
facilities to an address where FiOS has done an install?

Cause either of those ought to violate the rules.

> We often get customers in buildings lit by Verizon fiber service who
> want to change carriers. Too bad they can't anymore. Technically they
> can switch providers. Verizon will remove the fiber, re-install
> copper, and have the customer down for a week or so.

See above.

Cheers,
-- jra