dell switch config export

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Sun Mar 18 14:01:18 UTC 2012

> Jeroen van Aart wrote:
> > Ryan Malayter wrote:
> >> not designed or coded by a native English speaker. You have to use the
> >> "upload" link to export config, and put in the address of your TFTP
> >> server, since you are "uploading" from the switch to the tftp server.
> >
> > Yes I tried that. However the switch complains with an error about file
>
> I got that figured out. My experience with tftp is a bit limited. I had
> to create the file first and then change permissions to 666. Then run
> this on the switch:
>
> copy running-config tftp://x.x.x.x/name
>
> I first thought I also had to add a path.

That, just to be clear, is not the TFTP device's fault, it's the TFTP
server's fault.  Not even really a fault, exactly, but a bit of security
paranoia on the part of the typical tftpd implementation, plus a lack of
a robust means of propagating the server administrator's configuration
error back to the frustrated user who is just trying to do what ought to
be a simple and sensible operation.

So it's not really Dell's fault.

... JG