dell switch config export

Tom Hill tom at ninjabadger.net
Fri Mar 16 23:08:04 UTC 2012

On 16/03/12 22:02, Ryan Malayter wrote:
> Despite the terrible GUI and passable CLI, we're found the our 6248s to be
> remarkable stable and bug free. Some have been up for more than 3 years,
> and all the things you expect to be problematic on cheap switches
> (cross-stack LACP, multicast, MSTP, QoS) work perfectly.

+1, MSTP/VRRP inter-op with both Cisco 3650-X & Brocade CER worked
without fault (well, at a previous position).

tl;dr dlogin worked a goddamn treat for me. Props to the guy that wrote
it and also Brightbox for helping him out with their 6200's. As I recall
it also worked for our 5400's :)

<rant> never, EVER, let your 62xx's do any routing. Even a little bit.
Push 500Mbit of traffic through it for a few days (or 30Mbit for a few
months) and watch it forget how to re-learn ARP entries.

ARP timers default to 1200s, so it would learn all address for 20
minutes, refuse for the next 20, then learn again for 20 minutes...

Had to pull it down to 60s to make it slightly more obvious. The
work-around was to configure "arp dynamicrenew", which fixed it totally.
Is it on by default? Is it obvious that you should ask it to do this?
Hell no.

Dell cared; one guy (Piotr Majunka) from the UK/IE PowerConnect team
spent ages helping me diagnose the fault after I'd pulled it out of
service. Broadcom on the other hand, couldn't give a shit and to my
knowledge it was never fixed (I'm not sure if the 70xx "spiritual
successors" still do it) so buyer beware. :)

</rant>

Tom