cable markers for marine environments

Jim Richardson weaselkeeper at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 22:01:36 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 1:41 PM, Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon at orthanc.ca> wrote:
> I have a couple of wiring projects coming up on salt water-going vessels and I'm curious as to people's experiences with different types of cable marking products in a high-humidity / salt air / bilge environment
>
> None of the markers will be directly exposed to the outside elements, but quite a bit will be running below decks and will have to put up with the bilge.  Anyone have any horror stories to share?
>
> My preference is for a direct printing system rather than stock card markers.
>
> --lyndon

I have had good results with printed labels covered in clear
heatshrink.  Awkward, time consuming, and generally annoying, but
works, and lasts.  Keep the label short, print big, and use marine
(glue lined) heatshrink for best waterproofing. The regular stuff can
allow seepage and mould growth under the heatshrink in extreme cases.

--
http://neon-buddha.net