cable markers for marine environments

Måns Nilsson mansaxel at besserwisser.org
Thu Mar 8 21:57:55 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 01:41:58PM -0800, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
> I have a couple of wiring projects coming up on salt water-going vessels and I'm curious as to people's experiences with different types of cable marking products in a high-humidity / salt air / bilge environment
>
> None of the markers will be directly exposed to the outside elements, but quite a bit will be running below decks and will have to put up with the bilge.  Anyone have any horror stories to share?
>
> My preference is for a direct printing system rather than stock card markers.

Most durable is probably PVC cable markers of the type found in automation
systems and similar; I've used them in live sound which is a very
stressful environment. Several manufacturers make these; the resistor
colourcode type is really great for quick ID of numeric identifiers.

Typical offering:
http://www.cablecraft.co.uk/file.php?filename=WebCat-0001002b00040003%2FEasi-Lok_Halogen_Free_Markers.pdf

If you want to print, Brady has a number of different solutions, of which, at a quick glance, this one looks good:

http://www.bradyid.com/bradyid/domino/contentView.do/B7643.html

--
Måns, the wannabe automation engineer.