why haven't ethernet connectors changed?

Aled Morris aledm at qix.co.uk
Sun Dec 23 12:44:55 UTC 2012

On 23 December 2012 01:07, Wayne E Bouchard <web at typo.org> wrote:

> They serve quite well until I get to a switch that some douchebag
> mounted rear facing on the front posts of the rack

I see this all the time with low-end Cisco ISR products (2... and 3...
routers) since CIsco insist on having a "pretty" plastic fascia with their
logo, model number, power LED etc. on the unuseful side.  Less experienced
installers (being generous with my terminology) assume this is therefore
the "front" and mount it facing on the front rails, leaving the connector
side buried half way into the rack where only a proctologist can reach the
plugs.

I use this as a gauge of experience in interviews for engineers...  "Here's
a new router and here's the rack mount ears.  Show me where they go."

Aled