Verizon FiOS - is BGP an option?

Chris Marlatt cmarlatt at rxsec.com
Fri Aug 3 16:02:03 UTC 2012

On 08/03/2012 11:44 AM, Richard Miller wrote:
> Chris,
>    Been thinking about taking that "route" no pun intended. It just
> moves the main link off-site. We've had these T1s for so long the
> maintenance and ops have become second nature. Someone should be able to
> route over a DSL/Cable/whatever link. Especially if we had a simple
> static IP setup.
>
> the prices are nuts here or T1s. Back in the day I was paying 3000 per
> T1..now it's 500/mnth for 1.5 symmetrical. I can get 50/5 or 15/5 from
> various providers for around 100/mnth!
>
> Rich

Truth be told you don't even need to pay for a static ip if your
termination point supports dynamic clients (i.e. a vpn). It's usually
easiest if you have a server as your gateway for the local network too,
that'll permit some more granular allowances with the ips, forwarding,
etc. OpenVPN is a pretty good daemon for the tunnel. The only thing to
keep in mind with the dynamic ips is once in a blue moon (for my area at
least) you'll pick up a new ip and have a brief period of packet loss as
the vpn re-establishes.

Regards,

	Chris