Nxdomain redirect revenue

Martin Millnert millnert at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 19:26:34 UTC 2011

Jimmy,

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 1:50 PM, Jimmy Hess <mysidia at gmail.com> wrote:
> The name for an ISP intercepting traffic from its own users is  not
> "interference"  or  "DoS",
> because they're breaking the operation of (er) only their own network.

This statement somehow assumes that users of said network were only
intending to communicate within that same network. I think this
applies to so few networks it can be ignored in the discussion.

If I have a partner/customer/supplier/$foo in [common carrier/public
carrier] network X, and there is no D/DoS or other form of abuse
ongoing, and the operator of X willfully denies our communication, the
operator of X should have pretty darn good reasons for doing so (on
the order of having been ordered by the proper judicial system (which
should be well-functional, but that's a bit out of scope for the
discussion I guess)).

Operators should take great care to not break communication, including
tampering with internet architectures such as DNS, and it must be
possible to hold those who do responsible for their actions.

Regards,
Martin