Nxdomain redirect revenue

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 23:51:24 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Martin Millnert <millnert at gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
I think you're echoing a common misconception here:
> If I have a partner/customer/supplier/$foo in [common carrier/public
> carrier] network X, and there is no D/DoS or other form of abuse

ISPs are not like traditional telephone carriers.  ISPs are not common carriers.
They are not common carriers legally, and they are not _like_ common
carriers operationally.

They are empowered to provide whatever types of service and service
levels to their subscriber that their properly agreed upon terms of
service provides for....

Most end users of an ISP don't even get a SLA,  let alone a promise
that any IP address
will be reachable.    Also, thanks to peering spats and other various phenomena,
it's actually an  impossible promise for an ISP to make.

Due to the nature of the internet  ISPs  _often_  make decisions that
result in discrimination
of traffic based on its type, its source, destination,  payload contents, etc.

Blackholing spammer IP addresses is a common example; and ISPs could not do that
if they were common carriers.

> ongoing, and the operator of X willfully denies our communication, the
> operator of X should have pretty darn good reasons for doing so (on

In your opinion the operator should have a "pretty darn good reason"
for doing so.
But in reality,  the  internet service subscriber's  subscription
agreement will state
what's a "pretty darn good reason";  generally, the agreement states
that any reason
at all, or no reason,  solely at the operator's discretion,  is good enough.

> Operators should take great care to not break communication, including
> tampering with internet architectures such as DNS, and it must be
> possible to hold those who do responsible for their actions.

It occurs that an ISP deploying a custom DNS service that implements
their own policies
of munging redirects or producing "false" answers  is not "tampering"
with anyone else's server.

--
-JH