wet-behind-the-ears whippersnapper seeking advice on building a nationwide network

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Sep 19 11:59:07 UTC 2011

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 13:17:57 PDT, Cameron Byrne said:

> Call me optimistic but .... ipv6 does not have these issues...
>
> For anyone making STRATEGIC choices about ipv4 investments... beware of
> sharks in these waters, not just the cgn pains

For many of us (especiially the ones who have ipv6 deployed already), the
problem isn't *our* strategic choices, the problem is the less-than-strategic
choices made by the network owning the other end of the connection.  If we're
ready to talk over IPv6, but the other end instead decides to try to talk to us
over a NAT444 or from a prefix that's got sketchy history, there really isn't
much we can do about it.