wet-behind-the-ears whippersnapper seeking advice on building a nationwide network

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Sun Sep 18 20:29:58 UTC 2011

On 9/18/11 1:08 PM, Benson Schliesser wrote:

> On Sep 18, 2011, at 15:51, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:
>
>>> I'm told of others that have bought legacy IPv4 prefixes with no
>>> intention of updating whois at this time - no desire to enter into a
>>> relationship with ARIN and be subjected to existing "policy", for
>>> instance.
>>
>> so your point is that your friends at depository.com will be attractive
>> to ip address space buyers because they will offer a less religious rsa.
>> and the question is whether the ops community will believe their whois
>> and install a separate rpki trust root for them?
>
> For instance, yes.
>
> I'm also wondering if the ops community will accept other sources of proof such as legal documents (or something else?), in lieu of Whois records from an RIR, Depository, or elsewhere.

I wouldn't embrace abandoning whois. Its usefulness is far more than
just the prefix "owner" and their ISP. In fact, you may end up with a
registry of these as the new bogon space that everyone should filter. If
I saw abuse or other garbage from some block that did not exist in
whois, I'm not going to care to go search for some BS legal document to
find out who the responsible party is. Or worse, I find it and the
involved parties claim it's privileged information and refuse to
disclose it.

~Seth