ATT GigE issue on 11/19 in Kansas City

Holmes,David A dholmes at mwdh2o.com
Wed Nov 30 18:56:37 UTC 2011

What I have seen lately with telco's building and operating Metro Ethernet Forum (MEF) based Ethernet networks is that relatively inexperienced telco staff are in charge of configuring and operating the networks, where telco operational staff are unaware of layer 2 Ethernet network nuances, nuances that in an Enterprise environment network engineers must know, or else. I have seen numerous instances of telco MEF layer 2 outages of 20-30 seconds where my layer 3 routing keep-alives time out. Subsequent telco root cause analysis has determined that spanning tree convergence brought down multiple links in the telco MEF network. One telco technician, assigned to Ethernet switch configuration, told me that a 20-30 second network hang is not really a big deal.