Ipv6 for the content provider

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Wed Jan 26 19:17:10 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:22:40AM -0800, Charles N Wyble wrote:
> For the most part, I'm a data center/application administrator/content
> provider kind of guy. As such, I want to provide all my web content over
> ipv6, and support ipv6 SMTP.  What are folks doing in this regard?
>
> Do I just need to assign ip addresses to my servers, add AAAA records to
> my DNS server and that's it? I'm running PowerDNS for DNS, Apache for
> WWW. Postfix for SMTP.

Depending on your local configuration, you may have to change some minor
options (e.g add a IPv6 Listen line for Apache), but yeah, in general it's
as simple as adding an AAAA record in the DNS.

The only troublesome applications I still encounter these days are
Munin (monitoring stuff: http://www.munin-monitoring.org/) and anything
that's Java based.

If its running on a IPv6-enabled host, Java wants to use IPv6 sockets for
everything - including IPv4 connections.
Most modern operating systems do not allow this; you have to force the use
of either IPv4 or IPv6 and disable the other protocol.

I had to put these options in a Tomcat startup script:
  -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=false -Djava.net.preferIPv6Addresses=true

--
Francois Tigeot