Ipv6 for the content provider

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jan 26 20:44:24 UTC 2011

On Jan 26, 2011, at 11:17 AM, Francois Tigeot wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:22:40AM -0800, Charles N Wyble wrote:
>> For the most part, I'm a data center/application administrator/content
>> provider kind of guy. As such, I want to provide all my web content over
>> ipv6, and support ipv6 SMTP.  What are folks doing in this regard?
>>
>> Do I just need to assign ip addresses to my servers, add AAAA records to
>> my DNS server and that's it? I'm running PowerDNS for DNS, Apache for
>> WWW. Postfix for SMTP.
>
> Depending on your local configuration, you may have to change some minor
> options (e.g add a IPv6 Listen line for Apache), but yeah, in general it's
> as simple as adding an AAAA record in the DNS.
>
> The only troublesome applications I still encounter these days are
> Munin (monitoring stuff: http://www.munin-monitoring.org/) and anything
> that's Java based.
>
> If its running on a IPv6-enabled host, Java wants to use IPv6 sockets for
> everything - including IPv4 connections.

If you're not on a broken BSD or Windows implementation, that shouldn't be a problem.

It would be nice if BSD would correct their IPV6_V6ONLY behavior instead
of putting up an alleged security red herring. I'm not sure why Micr0$0ft suffers
from this braindeath.

> Most modern operating systems do not allow this; you have to force the use
> of either IPv4 or IPv6 and disable the other protocol.

Not true. Other than BSD/Windows, most modern operating systems actually
follow the RFCs in this regard. Even most of the BSD derivatives will allow
you to correctly set IPV6_V6ONLY=False to correct the errant default
behavior.

Owen