What vexes VoIP users?

Scott Helms khelms at ispalliance.net
Mon Feb 28 22:33:46 UTC 2011

On 2/28/2011 5:19 PM, Joe Greco wrote:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comcast#Home_telephone
>>> People are not, en-masse, going away from POTS and towards plugging a VoIP device into the back of their router.
> Twenty bucks says the first poster is correct; I'm willing to bet that
> most of the Comcast "VoIP" customers are handed off as RJ11 into legacy
> POTS lines in the target residence.
Of course they are, since users oddly enough like using their existing
phones, extensions, and wiring.
> In fact, I've had trouble finding any way to get our cable company to
> hand off their telephony service digitally, making the claims of "digital
> phone service" a little laughable as they still hand it off analog.
This is a bit disingenuous, are CD's not digital because the speakers
you play the music from analog devices?  You can plug any ATA into the
existing home wiring, including the ones that Vonage deploys:

http://support.vonage.com/doc/en_us/649.xml

--
Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology