How do you put a TV station on the Mbone? (was: Royal Wedding...)

Silas Moeckel silas at dsminc-corp.com
Fri Apr 29 19:23:15 UTC 2011

  On 4/29/2011 2:47 PM, Dan White wrote:
> On 29/04/11 14:04 -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 13:48:51 EDT, Jay Ashworth said:
>> What's the break-even point, the number of streams being sent at once
>> where
>> multicasting it starts taking less resources than N unicast streams?
>
> Video distribution is bound to continue to go in the direction of
> Netflix/Youtube where ISPs are going to be highly motivated to find
> cheaper
> ways to provide internet content to their end users. And directly peered,
> multicast agreements between CDNs and ISPs are going to be a real
> quick way
> to chop operational costs. Even if that doesn't apply to Netflix content
> today, it's bound to matter for content that consumers are going to
> want to
> consume in real time (sporting events).
>
> From the perspective of an ISP operating in a small market, we are
> seeing a
> big shift in usage toward Netflix and netflix-like services that is
> necessarily going to change the model of how we provide internet
> services.
> We have limited access to CDN or Content-Producer peering agreements
> (that
> would help to save costs) and, even if we did, we're in no position to
> demand ingress cash flow in those agreements (not enough eyeballs!).
> Since
> our users are the ones with the business arrangements with Netflix,
> and since
> their demand is shifting in that direction, I'd imagine we'd jump at a
> chance for private multicast agreements, even if demand didn't quite
> warrant it at this point.

Is it all just stalling tactics until IPv6 is everywhere, or am I
incorrect that multicast is baked into it rather than tacked on.  Unlike
the current state of multicast islands were looking at global reach to
all IPv6 end points.  Even if providers try and stem the flow with AUP's
banning sourcing of multicast how many major apps poping up with "you
have a valid IPv6 address but multicast is not functioning please
contact your ISP as your internet is broken, running at reduced
capacity/quality" flooding help desks until ISP's cave in?  The only
loosers are the ones that were getting paid for transit by the sender,
the eyeball networks could well see this as a reduction of backbone
utilization

Silas