RIP Justification

Chris Woodfield rekoil at semihuman.com
Thu Sep 30 03:19:41 UTC 2010

I know of one large-ish provider that does it exactly like that - RIPv2 between POP edge routers and provider-managed CPE. In addition to the simplicity, it lets them filter routes at redistribution without having to fiddle with inter-area OSPF (or, ghod forbid, multiple OSPF processes redistributing between each other...)

Where folks run into trouble is vendors that decide that RIP is so under-utilized they don't need to fully support or QA it anymore. Implementations tend to be a bit more..."quirky" than OSPF or BGP running on the same box. And occasionally you run into the odd vendor that doesn't care about things like being able to adjust hello/dead intervals...

-C