largest OSPF core

Christian Martin christian.martin at teliris.com
Thu Sep 2 18:55:00 UTC 2010

> In a message written on Thu, Sep 02, 2010 at 03:20:05PM +0300, lorddoskias wrote:
>> I'm just curious - what is the largest OSPF core (in terms of number
>> of routers) out there?

The stability of the topology plays a most prominent role, but it wouldn't surprise me if a OSPF network largely comprised of router LSAs (no redistribution), using today's hardware, could easily scale to 1000 nodes in an area.  Some newer techniques may affect this scale in either direction (ie, subsecond hellos and fast convergence would negatively impact scale on some platforms, while using demand circuit emulation on p2p links would impact scale positively).

YMMV...