Earthquakes

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Thu Mar 25 00:14:12 UTC 2010

On 2010-03-24, at 13:12, Ken Gilmour wrote:

> We had a 6.2 last year in Costa Rica... We immediately regretted where we
> had placed our racks and are almost finished a project to move them to a
> concrete floor (rather than that compressed cardboard stuff). Lost a lot of
> hard drives that day! We regularly have quakes between the 4-5 region here.
> By regularly, i mean a minimum of 5 times a year in different parts of the
> country.

If there is interest in data centre provisioning or construction, disaster planning or inside/outside plant strategies intended to mitigate damage by earthquakes then the NZNOG list might well be a good English-language place to get some advice.

Earthquakes of magnitude 4 and up happen pretty regularly (several times per week is common).

  http://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/quakes/recent_quakes.html
  http://www.nznog.org/

Joe