Earthquakes

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Mar 24 20:20:27 UTC 2010

In California, 4s are a regular occurrence and we have 2-3s every day.

I rarely notice anything less than  a 5, and, often do not notice up to a 5.5 in my area.

The worst quake I have personally experienced was the 1989 Loma Prietta quake
which was a 7.9 IIRC.  It caused some significant damage to some substandard
(by modern measure, not when they were built) structures, most notably the bay
bridge and the cypress and embarcadero elevated freeways and a brick-and-morter
(literally) mall in Santa Cruz.  Other than that, the damage from the 7.9 was minimal
outside of a relatively contained zone rather close to the epicenter.

I've been through more than one quake in the 5.2-5.5 range, so, perhaps they are
rare in the Netherlands (6 million years or so), but, in California they are much more
frequent, perhaps 5-7 years or so.

Owen