IP4 Space

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Mar 24 07:35:38 UTC 2010

> apples and oranges.

When did novell turn orange?  I thought they were red. ;-)

>> I'd expect that v4 will still exist in legacy form behind firewalls,
>> but I think its deprecation on the public internet will happen a lot
>> faster than anyone expects.
>
> maybe you're right, but... I doubt it.
>
>>> I agree that v6 deployments seem to be getting
>>> better/faster/stronger... I think that's good news, but we'll still be
>>> paying the v4 piper for a while.
>>
>> Only until v4 becomes more expensive (using whatever metric matters to
>> you) than v6.
>
> I have v4, it's not going to be anymore expensive than it is today for
> me... for new folks sure, but I've got mine.

If you start deploying IPv6, then, the cost of maintaining duplicate security
policies (v4 and v6), duplicate host mappings, duplicate DNS, duplicate
configurations on all your routers, etc. does eventually add up, as does the
need for even more TCAM.

These costs may be trivial in small environments, but, for major enterprises
and large backbones, these costs will become significant.

An additional not-yet recognized cost of IPv4 will come to light as the various
transfer policies start super-fragmenting the address space and our TCAMs
begin exploding with new IPv4 routes.  Likely there will be scenarios where
ISPs need a /16 but they can only find 240 non-aggregable /24s. They'll
snap them up and bam... 240 new IPv4 routes.

The ARIN transfer policies has some safeguards against this, but, most of
the RIRs passed transfer policies without these safeguards.

Owen