IP4 Space

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 05:46:54 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 7:59 PM, Mark Newton <newton at internode.com.au> wrote:

> On 24/03/2010, at 4:10 AM, Christopher Morrow wrote:
>>
>> it seems to me that we'll have widespread ipv4 for +10 years at least,
>
> How many 10 year old pieces of kit do you have on your network?

it's not my network anymore (or not the one I work on anymore) but...
702 had +400 7500's of 1996 vintage when I left, 703 had somewhere
near 200 or so of similar vintage 7500's and 7200's... Sprint still
does T1 agg on 7500's. ATT I'm sure has 75's in the network as well.

If there's low margin and no 'cost' to run the gear, why would I upgrade??

> Ten years ago we were routing appletalk and IPX.  Still doing that
> now?

apples and oranges.

> I'd expect that v4 will still exist in legacy form behind firewalls,
> but I think its deprecation on the public internet will happen a lot
> faster than anyone expects.

maybe you're right, but... I doubt it.

>> I agree that v6 deployments seem to be getting
>> better/faster/stronger... I think that's good news, but we'll still be
>> paying the v4 piper for a while.
>
> Only until v4 becomes more expensive (using whatever metric matters to
> you) than v6.

I have v4, it's not going to be anymore expensive than it is today for
me... for new folks sure, but I've got mine.

> After you pass that tipping point, v4 deployment will stop dead.

doubtful. we could go back and forth with this pingpong ball for ...
ever, but the point here is no one knows, it's likely different than
either of us think, and in the mean time fun will ensue!

-chris