Email Portability Approved by Knesset Committee

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Tue Feb 23 04:42:17 UTC 2010

On 2/22/2010 10:38 PM, John Levine wrote:
> In article <fddc4e5f9aeda526d68b236708b0dbc4 at yyc.orthanc.ca> you write:
>> smb at cs.columbia.edu:
>>> I am seriously suggesting that a redirect mechanism -- perhaps the
>> email equivalent of HTPP's 301/302 -- would be worth considering.
>>
>> We already have SMTP's 221 and 521 response codes for this. But because the
>> response text is free-form there's no way to reliably parse out the new address.
>
> Assuming you mean 251 and 551, the new address is in <brackets> making
> it straightforward to parse.
>
> There's the minor detail that nobody has, as far as I can tell, ever
> implemented either, but the spec's there if you want it.

When Somebody calls one of my "portable" telephone numbers, they don't
get a message telling them they have to call some other number.  The get
call progress tones.
--
"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to
take everything you have."

Remember:  The Ark was built by amateurs, the Titanic by professionals.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca

ICBM Targeting Information:  http://tinyurl.com/4sqczs