Spamhaus...

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Fri Feb 19 12:12:27 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 09:50:59AM -0800, Crist Clark wrote:
> And I want to know how they figured out we had a Barracuda.

It's not that hard, much of the time -- they tend to make
themselves visible via their poor behavior.

As to Spamhaus policy re appliances in general, their terms are on their
web site and while you or I or anyone else may not agree with or like
their terms, it *is* their service to offer on the terms that they wish.
And given that the Zen DNSBL is far-and-away the highest quality DNSBL
available, it's probably worth paying for if one finds oneself in a
situation where its use is indicated.

An easy way around this is not to use an appliance: it's a straightforward
exercise for any competent postmaster to build anti-spam defenses that
vastly outperform [1] any appliance in an afternoon.

Finally, this discussion should really be on spam-l, not nanog.

---Rsk

[1] Where performance is measure in terms of acquisition cost, maintenance
cost, FP, FN, bandwidth, memory, CPU, resistance to attack, scalability, etc.