Alacarte Cable and Geeks

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Fri Dec 17 18:27:44 UTC 2010

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010, Jay Ashworth wrote:

> The more I look at this, the more it looks like "pharmaceuticals bought
> from Canada are cheaper than ones purchased in America -- and they will be
> *just as long* as only a minority of Americans buy them there.  As soon as
> *everyone* in America is buying their drugs cross-border, the prices will
> go right back up to what they were paying here."
>
> This is what's gonna happen with Comcast, too; if their customers drop
> CATV, then they're going to have to raise their prices -- and the cable
> networks themselves will have *no* way to collect revenue; the cable
> systems being their collection agent network.
>
> This Can't End Well.

Why not?  As people shift from watching broadcast channels to streaming
content and look to shut off their cable TV service, but keep internet,
the cable co's are just going to have to raise internet prices to
compensate.  I can see a future where you buy internet from the cable co
and they give you the basic cable TV channel lineup at "no charge" but in
reality, you're paying for the cable internet what you used to pay for
both cable internet and TV.  The people I see this being a problem for are
HBO/Showtime/Stars etc. unless they can hop on with the streaming
providers or make that move themselves.

  Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |