Example RFI for colo provider selection
mansaxel at besserwisser.org
Tue Aug 10 01:37:13 CDT 2010
Subject: Example RFI for colo provider selection Date: Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 08:48:15PM -0400 Quoting Jason Lixfeld (jason at lixfeld.ca):
> I'm researching a list of some colocation providers I have here to find the most suitable one to provide services for a project I'm working on. My thought is to send out an informal RFI, which I believe is something others may have done too. If anyone is able to share, I'd be interested in having a peek at some of these colo-centric RFIs to understand what questions others have asked in the past, as it may help me come up with some questions that I may not have thought of myself.
* Most overlooked: Does the backup power system cope with the cooling power requirements?
* Several fiber providers connecting the facility, or one heavily multi-pathed.
* If you intend to buy transit, number of (and perhaps prefered) transit providers.
* If you intend to make your own IP-infrastructure, which transmission providers are present?
* Space to grow, price. (ie. where do I leave the underpriced
introductory offer and go into more expensive list-price setups)
* Power, as previously mentioned. Three-phase is IMNSHO a must. But,
then, I'm from Yoorp.
In power, several subtopics:
- Dual circuits, independently UPS-backed.
- Generator backup.
- Frequency of full-scale and load tests of power backup systems.
Anything less than load test several times per year and at least one
full-scale axe-in-mains-feeder -type test per year means that the
"Diesel promise" is a lie.
- They should have monitoring and trend watching systems set up to
stop accepting new customers once any UPS is at 50% of rated load
(What happens when one UPS side commits seppuku and fails to bypass?)
- Power protection systems, for overvoltage, spikes, thunderstorms, etc.
More could be added and has been. My 0,05 €, this.
Måns Nilsson primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE +46 705 989668
I want a VEGETARIAN BURRITO to go ... with EXTRA MSG!!
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 194 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the NANOG