Example RFI for colo provider selection

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Tue Aug 10 01:39:19 UTC 2010

On 8/9/2010 17:48, Jason Lixfeld wrote:
> I'm researching a list of some colocation providers I have here to find the most suitable one to provide services for a project I'm working on.  My thought is to send out an informal RFI, which I believe is something others may have done too.  If anyone is able to share, I'd be interested in having a peek at some of these colo-centric RFIs to understand what questions others have asked in the past, as it may help me come up with some questions that I may not have thought of myself.
>
> If an RFI isn't an appropriate means to gather information on such a prospect, I'd certainly like to hear that too.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> PS.  To any reader who may be thinking this is an open invitation for a sales email, it's not :)

Pretty much every first contact I see is along the lines of "I have the
following requirements X, Y, and Z. Please provide a quote to suit
these." The format of these may vary wildly.

As far as questions to ask, IPv6 is always on the top of my list but
almost always makes the viable prospects list pretty slim. Power *type*
availability is often overlooked (i.e. 208 volts or three-phase) until
the fateful day you need more than single phase 120 to run something and
the colo says oops not available.

~Seth