Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Mon Apr 19 15:19:23 UTC 2010

> There is also an aspect of this transition I don't think we've seen
> before (in networking).  A large percentage of end users are on
> technologies (cable modem, dsl, even dial up) who's configuration
> is entirely driven out of a provisioning database.
>
> Once the backbone is rolled out, the nameservers, dhcp, and
> configuration servers dual-stacked many ISP's could enable IPv6 for
> all of their customers overnight with only a few keystrokes.

*If* the whole IPv6 config can be driven from the same database. For
the time being, DHCPv6 cannot deliver a default gateway to customers
(and there is a religious faction within the IPv6 community which
seem to want to prevent this at all costs).

As long as we have the dependency on RA for default gateways, what
you suggest is considerably more difficult.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no