Peering Exchange Configurations

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Thu Apr 8 18:23:58 UTC 2010

On Apr 8, 2010, at 2:08 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

>>    3a) If no: Do participants typically preference exchange-learned
>> routes over other sources?
>>
>> Yes.  As far as I know all our members set routes learned through the
>> exchange fabric higher than anything else.  That's kind of the point as
>> exchange traffic is free so you always want to use it first.
>>
> Actually, the order of preference is usually:

Where 'usually' here is rather nebulous.

I am not trying to say Owen is wrong, just don't think the way any network uses interconnectivity is somehow standard.  Every network is different, and even similar links in the same network are different.

IXPs are standard ('usually' :), networks are not.

--
TTFN,
patrick