Repeated Blacklisting / IP reputation

Aaron Wendel aaron at wholesaleinternet.net
Tue Sep 15 16:22:39 UTC 2009

The mailing sent daily contains both.

-----Original Message-----
From: Justin Shore [mailto:justin at justinshore.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 11:18 AM
To: Martin Hannigan
Cc: NANOG list
Subject: Re: Repeated Blacklisting / IP reputation

Martin Hannigan wrote:

> Well, I haven't even had coffee yet and...
>
> Get the removals:
>
> curl -ls
> http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-issued/2009-September/000270.html |
> grep Remove | grep -v "<PRE>"
>
> Get the additions:
>
> mahannig$ curl -ls
> http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-issued/2009-September/000270.html |
> grep Add | grep -v "<PRE>"

That appears to be it.  I've also been told that there is a RSS feed of
the same thing.  My understanding is that a posting is made to the
mailing list or RSS feed when a new subnet is assigned.  I'd like to see
them do something with the assignment is first returned to ARIN, not
months later when the assignment is ready to be handed out again.  I
think the extra time would help those people that download copies of the
DNSBL zone files and manually import them once a week or less often.

Lots of place still use the zone files.  Personally I prefer to do so
too, rather than tie my mail system reliability on an outside source
that may or may not tell me when they have problems that affect my
service.  GoDaddy and their hosted mail service would be a great example
since they can't be bothered to update their DNSBL zone files.  Their
mail admins are using a copy of SORBS that is 3 years old.  3 damn years
old.  How do I know this?  3 years ago a mistake in a Squid
configuration turned one of my services into an open proxy for about a
week.  Even today mail from that server to a domain with mail hosted at
GoDaddy results in a bounce citing the ancient SORBS listing as the reason.

Thanks for the pointer.  Looks like they've already thought of what I
suggested and implemented a solution.  I still voice for announcing
returned assignment instead of announcing when an old assignment gets
reassigned.

Thanks
  Justin