Repeated Blacklisting / IP reputation

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Wed Sep 9 14:03:35 UTC 2009

John,

ARIN's role as the entity engaged in legal contractual relationship with
the previous owners of the space puts it in the position to insert
enforceable contract clauses to deter and/or mitigate "graffiti" in
allocations.

Policy proposals probably are not required for this.

Space originally from outside ARIN, thats another kettle of fish.

ARIN is also in the position to refuse allocations for entities who dont
clean up after themselves. Policy likely required.

And finally, if this problem continues to worsen (as it likely will when
greenfield becomes scarce), a viable business opportunity should emerge
for reputable organizations to do cleanup on behalf of the new owners,
for a reasonable fee/retainer and after suitable financial/contractual
guarantees.

Cost of business, efficiency of scale and all that. Perhaps the bill
could even be sent to the previous owners.

Operationally, I dont see how the problem can be mitigated solely by
those who are already informed.

Joe