Dedicated Route Reflectors

Truman Boyes truman at suspicious.org
Mon Sep 14 00:40:45 UTC 2009

Hi,

I have seen networks use the control plane of large P routers to
reflect their inet-vpn routes. Keep in mind that when reflecting inet-
vpn routes, the next-hops need to be "reachable". So quite possibly
you will need some policy to resolve the MPLS next-hops.

Internet / VPN / and now IPv6 peers have different growth rates, so
you may benefit in having different "types of route reflectors" for
different address families.

In a small PE deployment (say, 5-50) PE nodes, you can deploy the
route reflection on your P routers. Create some redundancy, and have
your PE nodes peer with 2-3 of them. It keeps the configuration much
smaller that having to define all the neighbours in a full mesh.

When you have lots of routes and PEs, you can start to have dedicated
RRs for different address families.

Truman