Intelligent network monitoring systems (commercial/open source, what have you)

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Fri Sep 11 18:59:45 UTC 2009

Howdy,

Can anyone suggest a network monitoring system that knows the difference between a cisco 1701 and a GSR 12810/6500, etc?

What I mean is, many times these days there are several different sub systems you have to monitor inside of a router/switch and not just interface utilization, the "CPU", and the "RAM".

Statistics such as CEF utilization, fabric utilization, PFC/DFC, various line card statistics, etc?

Can anyone recommend anything other than "customize MRTG a lot" that we can use to get a better look into these systems?

thanks,
-Drew