Repeated Blacklisting / IP reputation

Dave Rand dlr at bungi.com
Wed Sep 9 12:40:32 UTC 2009

[In the message entitled "Re: Repeated Blacklisting / IP reputation" on Sep  8, 14:34, Joe Greco writes:]
> > there is a fundamental disconnect here.  the IP space is neutral.
> > it has no bias toward or against social behaviours.  its a tool.
> > the actual/real target here are the people who are using these tools
> > to be antisocial.  blacklisting IP space is always reactive and
> > should only beused in emergency and as a -TEMPORARY- expedient.
> >
> > IMHO of course., YMMV.
>

> If people were given an option to "block this IP for 30 minutes, 24 hours,
> 30 days, 12 months, 5 years, or forever" - I wonder how many people would
> just shrug and click "forever."
>
> This may lead to the discovery of another fundamental disconnect - or two.

IP address space is neutral, but the operators of the space either permit,
or deny, the social behaviour which comes from these spaces.

For what it's worth, I just completed a study of about 5 years of data on
spam.  I looked at 100,000,000 IP addresses which had sent me spam.

The median duration of sending was 300 days.  There was a pronounced peak at
2-3 years of about 30%.  The vast majority was more than 30 days.

"forever" is pretty close to right, based on current behaviour.