Repeated Blacklisting / IP reputation

Dave Martin darkmoon at vt.edu
Thu Sep 10 13:52:42 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 04:13:18PM -0700, Jay Hennigan wrote:
> JC Dill wrote:
> As for a role account, there is "postmaster".  I would think that the
> best hope in the real world, rather than an autoresponder would be an
> RFC that clearly defines text accompanying an SMTP rejection notice
> triggered by a blocklist, detailing the blocklist and contact for
> removal.  Perhaps encouraging those who code MTAs and DNSBL hooks into
> them to include such in the configuration files would be a good start.

That would be very useful.  Many of those small lists return 'Unknown
user' rather than an actual blacklist message.  A url where one could
get reason (meaning headers) for the block would be even better.  If
they don't admit that it's a block, it's hard to do much more than tell
the user to contact the recipient via some other channel and have *them*
contact their support system.

--
Dave
-----