ISP customer assignments

William Herrin herrin-nanog at dirtside.com
Fri Oct 16 01:06:57 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 8:17 PM, Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> With IPv6, we've got our single /32.  From what I understand,
> if I try to advertise a /33 from the smaller POP, many (most?)
> will drop it (if my upstreams even take it).  If I advertise the /32
> from both routers, when that link goes down, my IPv6 traffic
> will be pretty much hosed.
> Is there any good solution to this?

Chris,

Here's what I do with my IPv4 /24: I advertise it at higher priority
at the larger POP and a slightly lower priority at the smaller POP.
Then I got a small block of addresses from each upstream at each POP
(from their still-aggregated blocks) to anchor a set of VPNs between
the two. Something has to go disastrously wrong for me to suffer any
worse effects than the occasional inefficient routing.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004