fight club :) richard bennett vs various nanogers, on paid peering

Richard Bennett richard at bennett.com
Wed Nov 25 22:29:33 UTC 2009

(pardon me if this message is not formatted correctly, T-bird doesn't
like this list)

I agree that this is not the proper venue for discussion of the politics
of Internet regulation; the post I wrote for GigaOm has comments
enabled, and many people with an anti-capitalist bone to pick have
already availed themselves of that forum to advocate for the people's
revolution. There are some technical issues that might be of more
interest and relevance to operators, however.

* One claim I made in my blog post is that traffic increases on the
Internet aren't measured by MINTS very well. MINTS uses data from
Meet-me switches, but IX's and colos are pulling x-connects like mad so
more and more traffic is passing directly through the x-connects and
therefore not being captured by MINTS. Rate of traffic increase is
important for regulators as it relates to the cost of running an ISP and
the need for traffic shaping. Seems to me that MINTS understates traffic
growth, and people are dealing with it by lighting more dark fiber,
pulling more fiber, and the x-connects are the tip of the iceberg that
says this is going on.

* A number of people said I have no basis for the claim that paid
peering is on the increase, and it's true that the empirical data is
slim due to the secretive nature of peering and transit agreements. This
claim is based on hearsay and on the observation that Comcast now has a
nationwide network and a very open policy regarding peering and paid
peering. So if paid peering is only increasing at Comcast, now a top 10
network, it's increasing overall.

* Some other people said I'm not entitled to have an opinion; so much
for democracy and free speech.

I'd be glad to hear from anyone who has data or informed opinions on
these subjects, on-list of off-. The reason you should share is that
people in Washington and Brussels listen to me, so it's in everybody's
interest for me to be well-informed; I don't really have an ax to grind
one way or another, but I do want law and regulation to be based on
fact, not speculation and ideology.

Thanks and have a nice day.

RB

--