What DNS Is Not

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Mon Nov 9 15:28:21 UTC 2009

Alex Balashov wrote:
> Thought-provoking article by Paul Vixie:
>
> http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=1647302

Bah, many of the CDN's I've dealt with don't seed geographical responses
based on DNS, but rather use many out of band methods for determining
what response they will hand out. The primary reason for short cutting
cache is to limit failures in case the system a requestor is going to
goes down.

And different CDN's behave differently, depending on how they deliver
content, support provider interconnects, etc. I'd hardly call many of
them DNS lies, as they do resolve you to the appropriate IP, and if that
IP disappears, try and quickly get you to another appropriate IP.

The rest of the article was informative,though.

Jack