HE.net, Fremont-2 outage?

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Wed Nov 4 22:56:19 UTC 2009

> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 2:08 PM, Raphael Carrier
> <raphael.carrier at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Agreed batteries are unreliable, an alternative to battery based UPS
> > are flywheel energy storage devices, they come either as an integrated
> > solution with the diesel generator (i think cat offers such a package)
>
> Yup, just ask 365 Main how reliable they are -
> http://365main.com/status_update.html
>
> I'm not saying that battery-based UPS's are better, but no matter what type
> of system you look at you're going to find failures.

I would point out that my cursory review of the document linked above
leaves a very positive impression.  I don't know the actual details well
enough to know if there is any reason to doubt the document...

I would, however, tend to trust a vendor who disclosed events in this
manner.  Even the best systems can fail.  How a failure is handled is
in many ways the more important factor; being transparent about it is
good for confidence.

Best to plan for the occasional issue.

... JG