small site multi-homing (related to: Small guys with BGP issues)

Mike mike-nanog at tiedyenetworks.com
Tue Nov 3 16:11:15 UTC 2009

    Small-site multi-homing is one of the great inequities of the
Internet and one that can, and should, be solved. I envision an Internet
of the future where anyone with any mixture of any type of network
connections can achieve, automatically, provider independence and
inbound/outbound load sharing across disparate links. Gone is the built
in hostage situation of having to either use your provider assigned IP's
(>%99 of internet connected sites today), or the quantum leap of being
an AS with PI space (and the associated technical baggage to configure
and manage that beast).  End users should have the power to dictate
their own routing policies and not suffer thru 'damping', 'urpf', or
other policies imposed on how or when their packets come and go. So if
you want to use 2 dsl lines and a CDMA modem, or a satellite and a
fiber, or 27 dial up modems and a T1, you should be able to do that and
the network should work with you to deliver your packets no matter where
'you' connect or how.

    What it's gonna take is new routing paradigms and new thinking about
the role of providers and users and a lowering of the barriers between
these two for more cooperation in the overall structure of the network.
Just like classfull addressing giving way to cidr, I belive hierarchal
routing will give way to truely dynamic routing where all participants
have equal capabilities over their own domain with no one (or group) of
'providers' having any more or less influence on global reachability for
any 'users' who choose to go their own way, and I expect that to be an
easy (or even default) choice in the future.

    You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope some day
you'll join us, and the world will live as one.