Where to buy Internet IP addresses

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Sat May 2 02:25:03 UTC 2009

In message <20090502002406.GK4507 at hezmatt.org>, Matthew Palmer writes:
> On Sat, May 02, 2009 at 09:40:23AM +1000, Mark Andrews wrote:

> > > Only five?  Really?  Our basic residential users get 18 quintillion
> > > addresses, and business users get 65536 times that many.  Tell them you
> > > need a few more.  :-)
> >
> > 	Actually residential users do.  One /64 is not enough.  On
> > 	can argue about whether a /56 or a /48 is appropriate for
> > 	residential users but a single /64 isn't and residential
> > 	ISP's should be planning to hand out more than a single /64
> > 	to their customers.
>
> How many home users (or even small businesses) have more than one subnet at
> the moment (behind NAT, presumably)?  As a percentage of subscribers, what
> does that equate to?

	I know on quite a few none geek households that have multiple
	nets today using double or triple NAT.  These households
	will be your multi-subnet IPv6 customers.  The NAT boxes
	will be replaced with ones that do DHCPv6 PD (both up and
	down stream).

> Handing out an IPv6 /56 to a DSL or cable customer should be handled much
> the same way as giving them an IPv4 /29 is today -- ask, and it shall be
> provided, but it's wasteful[1] to do so by default.

	One won't hand out a /56.  Think about how the above CPE
	boxes will work with PD.  You will get multiple /64 requests
	from the border CPE box with different IAID on them, one
	for each subnet in use.  The border CPE box could also
	consolidate the requests from downstream if it so desired
	but I would expect that would not be the default configuration.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org