Where to buy Internet IP addresses

Matthew Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Sat May 2 00:24:06 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 02, 2009 at 09:40:23AM +1000, Mark Andrews wrote:

> In message <49FB4661.8090503 at west.net>, Jay Hennigan writes:
> > LEdouard Louis wrote:
> > > Optimum Online business only offer 5 static IP address.
> > >
> > > Where can I buy a block of Internet IP address for Business? How much
> > > does it cost?
> >
> > Only five?  Really?  Our basic residential users get 18 quintillion
> > addresses, and business users get 65536 times that many.  Tell them you
> > need a few more.  :-)
>
> 	Actually residential users do.  One /64 is not enough.  On
> 	can argue about whether a /56 or a /48 is appropriate for
> 	residential users but a single /64 isn't and residential
> 	ISP's should be planning to hand out more than a single /64
> 	to their customers.

How many home users (or even small businesses) have more than one subnet at
the moment (behind NAT, presumably)?  As a percentage of subscribers, what
does that equate to?

Handing out an IPv6 /56 to a DSL or cable customer should be handled much
the same way as giving them an IPv4 /29 is today -- ask, and it shall be
provided, but it's wasteful[1] to do so by default.

- Matt

[1] Just because we've got a lot of it, doesn't mean we should be pissing it
up against the wall unnecessarily.  A motto for network engineers and
economists alike.

--
[M]ost of the other people here [...] drive cars that they have personally
built (starting with iron ore, charcoal, and a Malaysian turn-signal tree)