ISP Unbundling circuits

Wayne E. Bouchard web at typo.org
Thu Jan 29 16:51:19 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 03:31:40PM +0200, Colin Alston wrote:
> Circuits seems worse, but they also don't seem to track their CPE at
> all. We have boxes full of various teleco CPE, including some Cisco 800
> and 1600 routers. I guess it costs more than it's worth to recover it,
> but the irritating thing is we have to hold it "incase" they ever ask
> for it.

Well, SOME of that is a deliberate decision. I mean, equipment is
expected to have a useful life and then either fail or be
obsolete. Some custsomers can carry a contract 4 or 5 years. At that
point, the equipment they had may well not be in use anywhere else on
the network. There's not much point in reclaiming equipment you can't
use and can't get a decent value for through the various disposal
channels.

But yeah, ISPs and telcos as well are generally horrible about
reclaiming property.

---
Wayne Bouchard
web at typo.org