Anyone notice strange announcements for 174.128.31.0/24

John Payne john at sackheads.org
Tue Jan 13 13:55:40 UTC 2009

On Jan 13, 2009, at 12:05 AM, Paul Wall wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 7:29 PM, Leo Bicknell <bicknell at ufp.org>
> wrote:
>> You really should make some friends Randy.
>
> He is, on Second Life.
>
> Seriously though... I've not seen any discussion of the application of
> "allowas-in", a valid neighbor configuration under certain
> topologies/scenarios, as relates to impact today.  Also, I'd agree
> announcing other peoples' ASNs, without their permission, is in bad
> form.  It's okay he's doing it to you, but I bet Randy would be a lot
> less smiley if you were to announce random paths with 3130.

You should've seen the email storm and panic created when I prepended
an AS to avoid a blackhole.  I got the right people interested in
talking to me at least, but boy-o-boy were people confused about what
I was doing.

I guess the problem is that AS PATH is overloaded and people forget
that the primary purpose is loop-avoidance.  Everything else is
secondary and much like reading Received headers in SMTP mail, you
really should take everything after your direct neighbor's AS with a
grain of salt.